Slow Grind or Flow Grind?
When it comes to grinding do you prefer a slow grind where you get more significant items and more powerful level-ups or do you like getting blasted with tons of small incremental improvements and levels all the time?

I love loot explosions and level-ups out the ass, personally. By the end of the game both types will lead to the same level of power so you might as well make it as smooth as possible.
Usually the latter yeah. There's only so long people can wait before they'll give up on trying to obtain the fruits of grinding. That said, the former has its benefits too. Sure, it can be an unholy pain to digivolve into a fan favorite Digimon in one of those Digimon games, but once you do, the feeling is orgasmic.
Somewhere in between I guess? If you're constantly getting rewards, then it doesn't really feel like a reward does it? Something like Dark Cloud is good, where you grind for the goal of getting each cool new weapon.
If by flow you mean the autism found in ARPGs (Borderlands, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc) then slow grind definitely.
I like feeling noticeably more powerful. Games with frequent level-ups usually give you very small increases per level, so I generally prefer systems that have slower but more meaningful power increases.
(11-20-2018, 10:01 AM)Blank Slate Wrote: If by flow you mean the autism found in ARPGs (Borderlands, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc) then slow grind definitely.

(11-20-2018, 05:26 PM)Domhnall Wrote: I like feeling noticeably more powerful. Games with frequent level-ups usually give you very small increases per level, so I generally prefer systems that have slower but more meaningful power increases.

The issue I have with this is that sometimes the grind is way too long. Games where the max level is 20 but it's still 50+ hours long feels like torture.
I don't pay attention to the grind. The system is more my concern. What justifies the grinding?

DT2 for example: 4/5ths of the game's system centers around some challenge to undertake in game that yields great rewards and a chance to use the rewards or knowledge to take own greater challenges. Main game teases items early on that can help/hurt and encourage experimentation when you may be at a point where you're low on cash and said drops are far more prominent. Postgame, you come to obsessively watch weapon drops and sealbooks to begin to build your harem of unstoppable god killers. Thus, you're grinding and doing so at a pace with your own goals in mind, encouraged by the system.

Destiny is the polar opposite. And, in a ways, so is Monster Hunter. Your own goals are not taken into factor as far as the loot systems are concerned. "Unique cosmetics" are super-emphasized despite being largely irrelevant and hollow. There's time-locked events that force you into a certain way of playing for a weapon, armor piece, or even aforementioned pointless cosmetic. Never at your behest, never at your pace, often to your frustration. Density far more than MonHun, though. Hell, throw Borderlands in there, too. There's actually nothing fucking fun about the hours you have to put in just to get a hold of the actually FUN guns.

It's kinda crazy that I could burn hundreds of hours into things like Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, or Breath of Fire III—all examples of not overly-complex or taxing gameplay setups and find never-ending fun in them. But try me a week at some shit like Disgaea or La Pucelle—both of whom genuinely are huffing their own farts over big numbers—and it's all I can do to just sell those copies and never let them darken my doorstep ever again.

Well, more La Pucelle than Disgaea, but srsly fuck that slow painful slog for no real gains.
I don't care if it's slow or long as long as it's active.
Like grinding for a Rathalos Ruby in Monster Hunter. To get my first one I had to spend 6 fucking hours killing the same monster over and over. BUT, it was engaging gameplay, and I was able to adapt new strategies and fight in different environments.

When they're a simple game with pretty passive gameplay, I can't stand grind.