Jumping Over Holes -- Platformers
One run died because I tried to take on the Watcher Knights with base health and only 1 damage upgrade, and they murdered me so often I decided to just start over. Sacrificing ~10 minutes to grab a pale ore and visit the smith was genuinely faster.

Besides that one fight it actually felt really easy because the new DLC stuff is so much harder than anything in the base game.
Spoiler:

Spent all of last night grinding away at this seemingly hopeless endeavor and went to bed feeling like I should just give up. Succeeded by the skin of my teeth (1 HP) on my very first attempt today. I'm sure there's an inspirational story in there somewhere. Heart is pounding. Not doing that again anytime soon.

Now I just need to complete a 100%... permadeath... speedrun... for the last couple of achievements.
Mea_K Wrote:Now I just need to complete a 100%... permadeath... speedrun... for the last couple of achievements.

Keep your achievements. That's just fucking insane.
It'll be a lot easier than the DLC content I just did, to be honest.

Permadeath doesn't scare me because the base game feels extremely easy compared to all the crazy shit they added, you don't have to do any of the DLC to reach 100%, and the par time for the 100% "speedrun" is 20 goddamn hours (shouldn't take more than 8 hours with a good route -- I'm going to watch a real speedrun and take notes to get such a route).

It's almost like a victory lap.
Heads Up! New DLC for A Hat In Time comes out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

And it will be free for the first 24 hours.
Does 2D Metroid count as a platformer? Ah well.

Samus Returns is an interesting spin on the 2D Metroid formula, for better or worse. Especially in the early game, there's a lot of waiting to make sure the enemy strikes first, so you can parry and attack when the enemy is vulnerable. This goes double if you can't get used to aiming. Most basic enemies have some sort of shell or are too tanky for Samus to kill with the beam weapon before the enemy tries to attack. Samus seems to take a lot more damage than usual, so it's a bit harder to just run through rooms.

I'm kind of mixed on the aiming function and the way that the game often demands for you to aim even for basic enemies. That said, the wave beam synergies perfectly with the aiming function since it lets you hit the underside of wall crawling enemies. The Spazer ability is a lot more useful since accuracy is pretty important in this game. Finally, getting the Plasma Beam feels so good since you no longer have to care about shelled enemies. I like how the game splits up the ice beam and the main beams. Since the ice beam is weaker, it's more optimized for making platforms out of enemies (or making them weaker to missiles) while the normal beam is more optimized for clearing the room since it no longer freezes.

The spider ball makes a return, and it's not bad. It's a bit nerfed since there are areas where you can't spider ball though. The grapple beam feels fine too, and it's nice to see it used for more than just swinging on grapple points by moving or even destroying certain blocks. Unlike in Metroid Prime 3 though, it doesn't have any battle usage. While you can switch to the grapple beam whenever you want, you never actually have to since the game will switch to the grapple beam automatically when you aim at a grapple point. Effectively speaking, you only have to switch between the ice and normal beams.

Usually, I only use missiles for the Metroid mini boss battles (in conjunction with the ice beam of course). The game tries not to make them too repetitive with the help of the surrounding environment, but you're still fighting the same kind of boss over and over again. They are usually difficult enough that you have to keep your guard up, but Metroids in the same stage all have the same tell tale signs and overall patterns. The annoying part is finding the Metroid rather than fighting it apart from the first time you fight a certain stage. The game doesn't tell you explicitly where the Metroids are, but if you find and beat one Metroid, you can go back to the machine that lets you progress to learn the part of the map where another Metroid is at. Unlike Fusion, the game doesn't forcibly tell you where to go, but it's nice enough to lend a helping hand to reduce frustration.

One inarguably bad part of the game is that it gives a mini unskippable cutscene every time you use a teleporter or an elevator. It's extremely obnoxious especially when some elevators only transport you a couple screens away. It makes backtracking more annoying than it needs to be.

Overall, I would say to buy it on a sale at best. It's not a bad game, but it's one of the worst of the 2D metroid games (though I haven't played Metroid 1 or the original Metroid 2).
Why would you play some shitty remake instead of the original?
Because it was in color unlike the black and white original.
What was formerly known as the Hornet DLC for Hollow Knight is being turned into a seperate game.

I don't know how to feel about that. It was always going to have a new world and bosses so all this does from my perspective is lock Hornet out of the knight's content and vice versa (some kind of mode where you fight enemies and bosses from both campaigns would have been cool, for instance).

Also, Team Cherry said they'd be 'done' with Hollow Knight after this but 1.5 years of free DLC support for the original game will cause people to have certain expectations so I wonder how that's going to go.

Still really excited for all of this, obviously.