Recently watched anime
I finished Beatless. It's not really a good anime if you're looking for action, but it's a really nice and unique exploration of the relationship between humans and super intelligent artificial intelligences. It's convincingly optimistic about the whole thing, which is a lot harder to pull off than being pessimistic.

Negatives
- Slow build-up, and I mean slow. It takes quite a few episodes for things to start rolling, 10 or something IIRC.
- Animation could be better especially when action is involved
- 4 recap episodes because why not?
- A shit ton of talking
- Unlikable at first protagonist, but he gets better eventually
- Some characters could have had better character development

Neutral
- Unironic usage of the concept of memes

Positives
- 10/10 Robot waifu
- Doesn't use Asimov's 3 rules of robotics as a jumping off point
- Protagonist being kind of shit is plot important.
- Keikaku vs Keikaku vs Keikaku antics are more fun than they have any right to be.
-
moving data from one drive to another and I seem to have suffered a critical loss of To Heart s1. Damnit.
Ah, got it back. Also looking through older bits while I'm about. Hagure Yuusha & Yuushibu, charming in their own ways. Bad pic, though. Hagure Yuusha was Commie at its best (read: absolutely shit subs), and the dub makes it even worse. If I didn't know the moon that I did, I'd be pissed.

Also went and bought a few things while I was out. Bluray collection for Utawarerumono and Atelier Esca & Logy. Good times.
Anime I haven't tried yet but am willing to give the 3 episode rule

Senran Kagura
SSSS Gridman (I was actually gifted a VHS tape of some Murrican Gridman episodes as a kid which is why I have some nostalgia)
Skeleton Bookstore guy
Merc Storia (I liked Last Period, and this was advertised in that show in the wacky crossover episode, so why not?)
Uzamaid (Age gap yuri is not criminal if it's cute)
Double Decker (I liked Tiger and Bunny)

Series I probably will watch through

Goblin Slayer (It could be a better adaptation, but I still think it's overall still really engaging even if that's a lot to do with the source material rather than the CGI... Though, the OST is pretty cool, and the Engrish OP sounds cool if incomprehensible)
Jojo Part 5 (Damn it, I got this far. I might wait to marathon this, but I'll probably watch this one way or another)

Anime I'll skip because I was dissatisfied with the source material

Romeo and Juliet: Boarding School edition (I read the manga. The main characters and many side characters are likable enough and the antics are fun, but I can't help but feel that it has overstayed its welcome. That just might be me though.)

Isekai Slime (I have a bias for isekai series. It's ... decent, but it's missing that extra oompf to make it good. The main character's okay, the world building is okay, and etc. Basically it doesn't do anything horribly wrong other than being an isekai and all that entails, but it doesn't do anything horribly right either. I got bored of it.)
Zombieland Saga is amusing. that's about it for now. no negatives, really, except maybe not being able to stand the producer dude.

Uchi ga Meido is cute, mostly. Probably won't stick with it because I'm just not big into low-key, easy SOL stuff. And yeah this is pretty damn low-key. I miss Love Lab.
At the moment I'm watching:
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru
Goblin Slayer
Anima Yell

All decent so far, but nothing extraordinary. My favourite is probably Juliet, but i've seen enough of these kinds of shows to know it'll probably go downhill sooner or later. Might pick up a few more, like the zombie one, and I'll watch Jojo part 5 once it's finished airing. Putting my faith in the lads at Doga Kobo to save anime this season.
Finally got around to watching Konosuba. First Season was hilarious. I'm about halfway through Season 2 right now, and it's pretty good, though the animation isn't quite as good as the first season, but it's still plenty watchable. Gonna check out Goblin Slayer and Jojo Part 5 next when I'm done with Konosuba.

I plan on marathoning Fate/Zero down the line too, but I kinda want to finish Tsukihime first. Read the first 3 chapters of Arc's route, and then I just kinda stopped to check out other stuff and play some vidya. Also I was kinda burnt out on VNs after finishing Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia back to back.

Steins;Gate 0 is on the list too, but I wanted to play the VN first before going into the anime adaptation. I'm so backed up on shit that I want to play, read, and watch.
(10-16-2018, 09:57 AM)TheManWithPants Wrote: I plan on marathoning Fate/Zero down the line too, but I kinda want to finish Tsukihime first. Read the first 3 chapters of Arc's route, and then I just kinda stopped to check out other stuff and play some vidya. Also I was kinda burnt out on VNs after finishing Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia back to back.
Tsukihime picks up a lot once you've finished the first two routes, I can't blame you for sticking it on the backburner but it is worth it. Also don't watch F/Z if you haven't read or watched all the F/SN routes.
(10-16-2018, 03:48 PM)Blank Slate Wrote: Tsukihime picks up a lot once you've finished the first two routes, I can't blame you for sticking it on the backburner but it is worth it. Also don't watch F/Z if you haven't read or watched all the F/SN routes.

I already finished both F/SN (finished all 3 routes, saw all the normal and True Endings, and got all the Tiger Stamps) and F/HA (got 100% completion and saw the True Ending). The reason I put Zero on the backburner is because I was told some of the Type-Moon lore that's featured in Zero is explained more in Tsukihime. Or something along those lines.
(10-17-2018, 12:02 AM)TheManWithPants Wrote: I already finished both F/SN (finished all 3 routes, saw all the normal and True Endings, and got all the Tiger Stamps) and F/HA (got 100% completion and saw the True Ending). The reason I put Zero on the backburner is because I was told some of the Type-Moon lore that's featured in Zero is explained more in Tsukihime. Or something along those lines.

You were told wrong. There's nothing in F/Z that has any relation whatsoever to Tsukihime.
That's good to know, then. I'll marathon it soon, when I have the time. I'll finish Tsukihime when I have the time for it, too, but that one's gonna take a while, since it has 5 routes, IIRC.

In the meantime, I saw the first 2 episodes of Goblin Slayer, and... it's okay? I don't get why people see this as offensive. It's a bit edgy, yeah, but it makes sense in terms of the plot. You don't even really see much of anything. Goblin Slayer basically is just medieval Fantasy Doom Guy. I wish the anime gave him a more masculine sounding voice, though.

I don't like how it uses CGI for the MC's armor. It just looks lazy. Read some of the manga for comparison, and I think it looks much nicer. Lots of blood, gore, and nudity there. The manga doesn't have to adhere to TV censorship laws, so it gets to go all out. Also the Priestess, the receptionist girl, and the childhood friend are all cute.
I've seen people blaming Crunchyroll for not rating the series properly (TV-PG instead of TV-14), which doesn't accurately explain why some people go out of their way to call it worse than Shindo L's Metamorphisis or racist. Some of the arguments also seem to do whether rape should be a plot device in the first place, whether or not GS did it tastefully, is Goblin Slayer edgy, realistic, or just bad, and so forth. It seems to be gaining popularity because of said controversy though the fact that streamers are latching into it is probably a factor too.

I like GS a lot, but even if the anime were as good as its source material (It's a decent to good adaptation, not a great or excellent one), it's anime of the season at best. I wouldn't call it a modern classic; just something to slap onto a dark fantasy anime recommendation list or something.

As someone who has read 5 LNs, here's a quick review of Goblin Slayer

+ Goblin Slayer is a fun protagonist.
+ Side characters aren't as developed but still bounce off of him really well, even the ones who barely appear.
+ Despite most adventures just being goblin slaying, there a variety of locales and battle tactics to be explored
+ World building is slow and steady but interesting. The LN in particular emphasizes how Goblin Slayer is one of many characters in a bigger world. LN 4 is a bunch of loosely tied together side stories featuring different characters who otherwise don't appear much.
+ Character development is also slow and steady, which fits an episodic tale, especially for Goblin Slayer and Priestess, the latter who becomes likable as time goes on IMO.
+ Lizard Priest
. Best side character even if he's a static one.
+ Minimal focus on romance. There is some romance, but you don't see GS's romantic interests arguing over who gets his dick or anything. GS in particular is hopelessly oblivious, and Priestess, the girl who would otherwise be the clear winner, is also hopelessly oblivious.

- No overarching plot. There are shades of one as GS's actions occasionally affect the world situation and changes in the world situation trickle down to the GS's adventures, but that's not an overarching plot in the traditional sense.
- While surprisingly, the namelessness of the characters doesn't really hurt the work as much as you would expect, it's still something you have to get used to. Goblin Slayer's unique "class" probably makes him stand out more than if the author bothered to give everyone actual names. Interestingly, while in the manga, characters refer to other people as Heavy Warrior and Spearman and such, in the LN, no one addresses someone else by name or title except for Goblin Slayer.
I say point this out at them.
UzaMaid is pretty cute.
SSSS Gridman is a decent mech series. It's using a lot less CGI than I was expecting it to, and the CG it does have is surprisingly unjarring. It's not amazing, but the characters are solid enough and the fights have their cool moments.

Skeleton Bookstore is amusing gag series, nothing more. A weird series is nice once in a while, but if you want an anime about a manga store, I'd recommend Dengeki no Honya-san over it. Skeleton is more down to earth though.

Merc Storia is a really comfy fantasy adventure series, at least that's what I got from the first episode. I like it a lot, perhaps only because sentient mass of water is best girl of the season.

Uzamaid is fun and cute. It's not the type of thing I'm always in the mood for, but I'll watch it here or there.

Double Decker is fun buddy cop antics. I don't really know why I like buddy cop series, but ah well. I even liked fucking Venom because it's basically a buddy cop movie if the bad cop was a symbiotic man eating alien. Back on topic though, if you liked Tiger and Bunny, you might like this show even though the focus is on detectives rather than superheroes.
Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san is cute too. This is a good season for yuri.
I caught up with the bunny girl anime and to my surprise it's actually pretty good, definitely my favourite so far.